Dan’s practice focuses on real estate and business transactions. He has extensive experience with issues relating to a variety of properties including office, retail, industrial, multifamily and undeveloped land.
Dan’s representative clients cover a wide range of market and sectors including domestic, Chinese, Korean, and Canadian government entities, banks, companies, health care providers and investors.
Prior to his law practice, Dan was a commercial real estate manager. His clients benefit from this unique past experience. Dan has a thorough understanding of the many facets involved in real estate transactions having direct industry familiarity. This includes drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, loan documents, legal opinions, leases, easements and other related agreements.
- Represented developer in acquisition and development of $150 million+ mixed use EB-5 foreign investment funded development project.
- Represented foreign law firm in review of an EB-5 funded multi-unit restaurant project.
- Represented foreign government in acquisition and development of a new consulate office.
- Represented Canadian wholesale company in acquisition of warehouse facility funded with complex multi-party international financing.
- Represented investment bank with contracts and due diligence of thousands of acres of timberland.
- Represented national bank with attorney-prepared loan document packages, including loan agreement, promissory note, deed of trust, assignment of rents, UCC financing statement, personal guarantees, unsecured environmental indemnification agreement, subordination non-disturbance and attornment agreement, and closing instructions.
- Represented private lender with due diligence and multistate, multiparty loan documentation of a ground-leased hotel acquisition.
- Represented client with acquisition of a gas station with convenience store, including drafting contracts, reviewing loan documents, negotiating SBA-compliant amendments to franchise agreement, assignment and assumption agreement, bill of sale and business licensing.
- Represented physician in acquisition of medical office, including entity formation, letter of intent, purchase and sale agreement, due diligence, SBA-compliant lease and closing.
- Represented business owner with execution of business succession plan with seller financing and lease back, including stock purchase and sale agreement, stock assignment separate from certificate, loan agreement, promissory note, stock pledge agreement, corporate resolutions and resignations, personal guarantees, office lease, and non-competition agreement.
Publications & Presentations
- Moderator, CREW, EB-5 Foreign Investments, December 2014
- Speaker, FIABCI, EB-5 Foreign Investments, May 2014 and November 2014
- Speaker, National Business Institute, Title Law from Start to Finish, Title Exceptions and Endorsements, November 2014
- Speaker, Thurston County Bar Association, I-502 Leases, October 2014
- Speaker/Organizer, Korean American Bar Association, Real Estate Legal Seminar, October 2014
- Speaker, Berkshire Hathaway Bellevue, EB-5 Foreign Investment for Brokers, September 2014
- Speaker, Lorman Educational Services, Easements, April 2014
- Speaker, World Trade Center Tacoma, Commercial Real Estate For Foreign Investors, December 2013
- Speaker, Sterling Educational Services, Buying and Selling a Business in Uncertain Times, Ethics, December 2013
- Speaker, NAIOP, I-502 Leases, March 2013
Honors, Awards & Special Recognition
- President’s Award, Korean American Bar Association, 2013
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Korean American Bar Association, President
- Asian Bar Association of Washington, Member
- Commercial Real Estate Development Association (NAIOP), Member
- World Trade Center Tacoma, Member
- Step by Step Family Support Center, Director
- Commercial Brokers Association, Associate Member
Outside of the office, Dan enjoys biking and traveling with his wife and three young children.