Brett's practice focuses on assisting clients in successfully completing a wide range of real estate, business, construction and family law transactions, by providing them with experienced and authoritative legal guidance and astute, practical leadership. Brett represents and guides his clients in residential, corporate and commercial purchase and sale transactions (including yacht and aircraft purchase and sale agreements), leases, subleases, assignments, title examinations, easements and boundary line disputes. Brett also provides guidance in matters regarding homeowners' associations, condominium associations, condominium conversions, shopping center leases and antenna site leases.
General business and construction issues are also a major part of Brett’s practice, including stock and asset purchase and sale agreements, private placement memoranda, corporate formations, independent contractor agreements, license agreements, construction contracts, contract negotiations and resolution of contract disputes. Brett also has extensive experience with the licensing and regulation of assisted living facilities and adult family homes.
- Worked closely with a school district’s senior officials in the successful acquisition of more than a dozen commercial and residential parcels in order to develop and construct a new high school campus. Coordinated the purchases with title companies, surveyors, contractors and others to acquire the properties and build the school. Successfully avoided condemnation litigation on several of the purchases, saving the school district substantial sums of money and keeping the project on schedule.
- Assisted a prominent national assisted living corporation in drafting and finalizing comprehensive lease agreements, human resource policies and operating procedures for use in all its properties throughout the United States.
- Worked closely with the office of the President of the United States for a protracted period to pursue a full Presidential pardon for a client. This matter was successfully concluded and the client’s rights as a citizen were fully restored
- Provided guidance to a commercial land owner in the complex purchase, remodel, development and long-term lease of the property to a publicly traded corporation.
- Worked with a commercial land owner in the successful conversion of a property to open space condominiums and the subsequent sale of the two separate condominiums resulting in a significant increase in the sale price.
- Delivered leadership and guidance to multiple homeowners’ associations regarding the interpretation, revision and enforcement of covenants, conditions and restrictions, bylaws and related matters.
- Provided business consulting and legal representation to a business owner in the sale of a multimillion dollar commercial fishery plant, property lease and subsequent sale of the client’s partnership assets.
- Represented a commercial landlord in the lease of several noteworthy restaurants.
- Working closely with a commercial landlord, structured and negotiated the sale of a multimillion dollar real estate property, netting the owner a higher profit than originally projected.
- Supported landlords and tenants in the negotiation of complex retail shopping center leases resulting in clearer, more comprehensive agreements to the benefit of both parties.
- Represented multiple commercial landlords regarding cell phone antenna site leases and license agreements, receiving favorable concessions for clients.
- Assisted members of a family-owned marina in the successful resolution of an ownership dispute and the subsequent acquisition of the marina property.
- Supported local and national celebrities with legal representation regarding public speaking agreements, employment agreements and independent contractor agreements.
- Assisted doctors and chiropractors in the acquisition of commercial office buildings, providing guidance regarding business practices and human resource/employment matters.
- Provided legal and business guidance to a gun range owner in the development of real property, including the resolution of contractor disputes and employment matters related to the project.
- Supported a commercial property owner in the highly profitable acquisition and sale of hydroelectric power plants and their related power purchase agreements.
- Represented multiple commercial real estate brokers in successful resolution of commission disputes.
- Worked closely with residential property owners to resolve boundary line disputes and easement disputes with adjacent neighbors.
- Supported residential home buyers and sellers in purchase, sale, refinance and custom home construction matters.
- Provided guidance and support to individuals who strive to own their own businesses. Assisted clients in forming legal entities, negotiating leases, negotiating construction contracts, preparing employment manuals and forming strategic partnerships with lenders and related businesses.
- Acted as general counsel to many local and regional corporations for their various legal needs.
Honors, Awards & Special Recognition
- Named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers, 2007
- Recognized by Who’s Who, Executives and Professionals, 2005 & 2006
Professional & Civic Involvement
- King County Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- NFL Alumni, Northwest Chapter, President
- NFL Alumni, Inc., Board of Directors
- Eastside Neighborhood Legal Clinic, Volunteer
Brett played football for the University of Washington Huskies and went on to play professionally in the National Football League and the World League for four years. When he is not assisting clients, Brett enjoys skiing, golfing, mountain biking, lifting weights and spending time with his family.